This black bean soup is EXTRA (just like me!). I’ve added a little something special to give it an unexpected boost of flavor: roasted tomatoes! The extra time in the oven takes this soup to a different level.
This is the perfect recipe for busy weeknights if you batch cook the tomatoes on the weekend. It was a hit with the kids loved too—black beans are kind of our comfort food.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and would love to hear what you think. Please let me know how you like it in the comments below.
Black Bean Soup with Roasted Tomatoes
Makes 4 large bowls.
2 pints cherry tomatoes
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
¼ tsp salt (plus additional, to taste)
¼ tsp pepper (plus additional, to taste)
1 medium yellow onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 15-ounce cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
4 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp garlic powder
- Toss the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper and spread out on a baking sheet. Roast at 350°F for 40 minutes.
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the black beans, vegetable broth, cumin, garlic powder and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bring to a slight boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend about half of the soup so that it becomes creamy and thick, but still contains some whole beans. Alternatively, pour half of the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Stir back into the pot with the other half of the soup.
- Place back on low heat. Taste and adjust the seasonings, as necessary. Stir in the roasted tomatoes.
- Serve with fresh lime, avocado, cilantro or salsa.