Summer is more laidback and unscheduled in my household, as I’m not shuttling the kids around as much and activities are significantly reduced. My kids are also less stressed (no homework or tests!) which means I’m less stressed. Bedtimes also tend to be later as no one has to be up super early.
As a result, my time in the kitchen tends to be more relaxed, as I flit between enjoying the outdoors and other summer fun. It’s no surprise that summer meals tend to be some of my favorites. As I savor the last few days of the season with my kids, I want to make my time in the kitchen count and minimize my time there so I can spend more time with them outside having fun!
In my latest video, I share some easy summer meals that not only minimize the time in the kitchen, but also take advantage of the bounty of my favorite summer foods (tomatoes, anyone?!!). Plus, you’ll find that all of the recipes in this video are great for eating outdoors, taking on picnics, or packing for the beach or wherever the summer fun takes you!
Check out these easy summer meals:
- They’re versatile! Use a lettuce wrap, flatbread, tortilla or nori sheet.
- Easily change up your fillings a dozen different ways with some help from the store, using store-bought spreads and dips.
- This is an easy meal pleaser. Who doesn’t love pasta?!
- Pick your favorite noodle, add in a bean or legume and your favorite veggies.
- Toss with your favorite salad dressing.
- Prep these the night before.
- Cube tofu, tempeh, seitan or veggies (mushrooms and cauliflower are my favorites).
- Place protein or vegetables in a sealable container and add your favorite store-bought salad dressing. Marinate at least two hours or overnight.
- Skewer when ready to grill! (Pairs well with pasta salad.)