Get your cruciferous veggies on with this crunchy and tangy salad. I used a salad mix from Trader Joe’s as the base, but you can also make your own from scratch using cabbage, Brussels sprouts and kale.
The salad dressing is everything in this salad. Its tangy and salty – full of umami flavor. I have to hold myself back from eating the whole bowl! My 12 year-old daughter loves the taste too – a great way for me to get her to eat kale and cabbage!
This salad gets better the longer it “marinates,” so I typically make it in the morning while I am prepping breakfast and lunches for the kids. I refrigerate it until lunch so that the flavors have time to meld. Slice in the avocado just before serving.
Cruciferous Crunch Salad with Tangy Tahini Dressing
- 1 bag of Trader Joe’s Cruciferous Crunch Blend (or 3 cups chopped curly kale, 3 cups shredded red and green cabbage, and 3 cups shaved Brussels sprouts)
- 1 jar capers, drained
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 6 teaspoons tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 2 small organic avocados, chopped
Whisk together the vinegar, tamari, tahini and nutritional yeast.
Stir in the vegetable mix and combine well.
Add in the capers and the garbanzo beans. Mix well.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Stir in the avocado just before serving. Stores well in an air-tight container (without the avocado) for 3-4 days.