If you’ve never had this Italian stuffed bread, you must try this recipe! It’s a family favorite in my house. Olives and pepperoncinis are a wonderful complement to the vegan ham, (which I purchased from The Herbivorous Butcher.) The mildness of the Chao regular slices worked really well for this recipe. My kids are not a fan of dairy-free cheese but this one melts really well without a strong flavor, which they enjoyed in this dish. A dairy-free mozzarella would be delicious too.
This makes a great appetizer for Italian night. It also makes a great main, serving a couple of slices with a tossed green salad and an antipasto platter. Change up the ingredients for countless stromboli options!
Vegan Ham and Olive Stromboli
- 1 package of whole wheat pizza dough
- 3 Chao Creamy Slices (Field Roast), sliced in half
- 1/2 cup olive tapenade
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoncinis
- 3 slices vegan ham (or other plant-based “meat”)
- Sprinkling of Penzey’s Spices Pizza Seasoning (or any Italian Herb seasoning and garlic powder)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Go Veggie! grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- Marinara sauce , for serving
Take the dough out of the refrigerator and let sit 30 minutes to an hour to allow to rise.
Roll out dough on a floured service into a large oval.
Brush the dough with 1 1/2 tablespoons olives oil and sprinkle with the seasoning.
Layer the cheese slices down the length of the pizza dough, leaving a 1 inch border around the entire oval.
Add the vegan ham on top.
Spread the olive tapenade over the cheese and ham. Sprinkle the pepperoncinis on top.
Bring both sides of the dough together and fold over each other to make a seam. Tuck and seal each end.
Turn the roll over and place on a greased baking pan. Brush with remaining olive oil and dust with the Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 475 degrees for 10 minutes.
10. Allow to sit 5 minutes and slice. Serve with marina sauce for dipping.