January 31st is National Hot Chocolate Day and I realize I rarely drink hot chocolate, although it’s one of my favorite hot beverages. Dairy free hot chocolate at a coffee house is so hard to find, but making it homemade is simple…and only takes about 5 minutes. This Vegan Vanilla Cinnamon Hot Chocolate recipe was inspired by some fresh vanilla beans I had laying around – and my daughters’ obsession with Once Upon A Time (they put cinnamon in their hot chocolate!).
I used almond milk as my dairy-free base, and several squares of the 72% dark chocolate from Trader Joe’s (in the green box). This recipe couldn’t be simpler. Just heat all the ingredients in a saucepan and whisk.
What’s hot cocoa without the whipped cream? I topped mine with several dollops of So Delicious! Coco Whip.
With this recipe, I’ll be sipping hot chocolate more than just on National Hot Chocolate Day!
Vegan Vanilla Cinnamon Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 vanilla bean (seeds removed from pod)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbl maple syrup
- 5 squares Trader Joe's dark chocolate (72%)
- CoCo Whip, for topping (optional)
1. Whisk all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat, continuously until thickened (about 5 minutes).
2. Top with CoCo Whip. Sprinkle with cinnamon.